So last week we made epic grilled cheese sandwiches, today we go Monte Cristo and yes they were fantastic.
Christmas at my house includes a ham and sometimes a turkey so these make the best leftover sandwiches. Think ham and turkey sandwich with mellty cheese between two pieces of french toast. nom nom nom….
What You Need:
- Bread – I typically go with a nice country while but Texas toast is good as is challah or brioche.
- Eggs – 1 per sandwich depending on the size
- Heavy Cream or milk
- Optional Nutmeg and/or Cinnamon
- Turkey – enough to make your sandwich – you know how much you like figure it out
- Ham – same as the turkey
- Swiss Cheese couple slices per sandwich
- American Cheese – same as swiss
- Fruit spread/jelly
What You Do:
- Put your sandwiches together – Bread – Cheese – Ham – Turkey – Cheese – Bread – Sounds simple doesn’t it!
- Some people like to cut off the crust.
- Press sandwich together a little with hands or wrap tightly in plastic wrap and let sit in fridge for an hour or longer
- Mix eggs, heavy cream/milk in a bowl include nutmeg or cinnamon if using
- Melt some butter in your skillet on medium to medium high heat.
- Using your and put the sandwich into the egg/milk batter and place onto hot skillet
- Grill until golden brown and flip to brown the other side – you may want to put a lid on skillet to help melt the cheese and heat the inside of the sandwich
- Serve with fruit spread/jelly another favorite it to dust with powdered sugar