Today we are making double decker grilled cheese sandwiches with bacon. Yeah you know you want one! Admit it, you do!! OK that’s better. For the cheese I chose the new 4 Cheese Italian Blend from Land o’Lakes that combines American with Asiago, Romano and Parmesan. I also included a lacy Swiss and a little more American cheese. For the bacon I used a thick cut bacon that was processed locally and WOWZERS was it good!
This Recipe is enough for 4 sandwiches adjust accordingly.
- 8 slices of 4 Cheese Italian Blend
- 8 slices of American Cheese
- 8 slices of Swiss Cheese
- 12 slices of good bread – I went with a country white but you could experiment.
- Butter (softened) or Butter Spread
- 20 pieces of bacon ( 16 for the sandwiches and 4 to eat while you cook)
What You Do:
- Fry Bacon and place on paper towel covered plate… hide the bacon from others but enjoy a piece or two for yourself, after all you are the one cooking!
- Butter one side of each of the pieces of bread
- Heat skillet or griddle to medium high heat
- Place one slice of bread, butter side down onto heated cooking surface.
- Place one slice of American cheese on bread
- Place two pieces of bacon
- Place one slice of Swiss and Italian Cheese On top of Bacon
- Cover with piece of bread butter side up
- Once the bread is grilled to a golden brown flip it over and build out the rest of the sandwich – cheese – bacon – cheese – cheese
- Remove from the pan when the sandwich is golden brown and place on cutting board, cut into triangles – because that’s the way you eat grilled cheese!