I LOVE FALL; The smells, the colors, the temperature – seriously everything about fall is awesome. One of my families favorite things to do in the fall is to go apple picking. We make the drive to Utica OH to Legend Hills Orchard. They have all kinds of apples as well as a a farm market.
Once we get our bags of apples we make the quick trip over to The Velvet Ice Cream shop and get some ice cream and then we head on home. On the ride home “The Girlies” start asking when my wife is going to start making applesauce. We convince her how wonderful it would be to have some that evening and she typically indulges us and we celebrate!
Once she gets cooking the house just starts to burst with that great fall smell and the flavor is fantastic as well. You don’t have to go to the orchard to make this yourself but if you get a chance I am sure you will have as much fun as we do.
What You Need:
- 9-12 medium apples – we use a mixture of different kinds
- 1 Cup of Water
- 1/3 to 2/3 Cup of Sugar – We often leave this part out making the it even more healthy. The amount will vary depending on how sweet you like it and how sweet your apples are.
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon – This amount usually gets increased slightly because my kids love cinnamon.
What You Do:
- Peel and Core the Apples
- Slice the Apples into at least 1/4s
- Put all of the ingredients into a pot
- Cook for about 30 minutes on med – med/high heat. until the apples are soft.
- Now Mash them up using a potato masher or an electric mixer
- Eat It and be Happy!
Hope you get to enjoy some of what nature has to offer this fall. If you have a great fall tradition that you would like to share put it in the comment section or post it on our facebook page.